If you’re going on a summer vacation you’re most likely going to be spending some time at the beach or poolside. So really there are three types of clothing and three outfit styles you need to pack for a summer vacation. Clothing such as resort wear (for times when you’re hanging around the resort), clothing for exploring, and clothing for the beach itself.
A swimsuit, of course! Pack some really cute cover-ups. A stylish way to protect yourself from the sun is with a beach cover-up. If you’re planning on spending an entire day relaxing at the beach or poolside—which is probably why you flew to a gorgeous paradise in the first place—plan on wearing a cover-up for at least a portion of the time.
TYPES OF BEACH COVER-UPS
- A tunic beach cover-up almost looks like an oversized shirt. It’s a loose-fitting garment that ends slightly above the knees and is usually short sleeved. Tunics for the beach are made of light fabrics such as chiffon, cotton, polyester, silk, or rayon. They come in a variety of colors, prints, and patterns. A lot of tunics have a plunging V-neck that will show off your swimsuit beneath. Tunics are flowy and are usually not tied with a belt, although some do have a drawstring waist.
- A caftan beach cover-up is an ankle-length long- or short-sleeve flowy garment. This is a variant of the tunic, which is why you’ll see a lot of retailers mark what looks like a tunic as a caftan. A caftan is a great option if you’re looking for a long-sleeve ankle-length option that offers more coverage from the sun. And, depending on the style, you can even get away with wearing it to dinner. Caftans have a very luxurious feel and I would say are the most glamorous of all the beach cover-ups. They also come in a variety of fabrics, colors, prints and patterns. Y ou should have no problem finding one that matches your bikinis and fits your personal style.
- A sarong beach cover-up is the most versatile of all the options. A sarong is a long piece of fabric that can be wrapped and tied to be used as a skirt, halter dress, strapless dress (short or long), one shoulder dress, etc. The combinations are limited only by your imagination with this beach cover-up. Depending on the fabric you can even use it as a towel and place it directly on the sand while you tan.
- Dress beach cover-ups are just as they sound; they are dresses. They can be maxi, short, strapless, spaghetti strap, halter, in a variety of fabrics, shapes and fits. They are dresses for the beach, so they are lighter in fabric and often more revealing than regular dresses because you’re supposed the have a bathing suit underneath. Having trouble deciding on a dress beach cover-up because there are sooooo many options? Just take your favorite dress style, that you wear day to day, and find a similar style as a beach cover-up.
- Long Cardigan Beach Cover-ups; features an open front, either long or short in length, and made of lighter fabrics than traditional cardigan sweaters. They can also have long or short sleeves. These beach cover-ups are great if you’re just going to and from the beach and you’re not going to a restaurant or walking around a beach town. They are comfortable and a little more sexy since you’re exposing your bikini. I love beach cardigans that are a little longer than a tunic and have long sleeves.
The beach cover-ups I mentioned above are the traditional styles, but there are some other styles I should mention. There are rompers, jumpsuits, skirts, shorts, and even pants. Rompers are very cute and, at times, can even pass as an outfit. The same goes for jumpsuits. The separates such as pants, shorts, skirts, tops are what I classify as resort wear. They are great for hanging around resorts that have special resort dress codes.