A 13-year-old Connecticut boy is in “grave condition” and two others are being monitored after overdosing on fentanyl at school.
The seventh-grader collapsed inside the gymnasium at the Sports and Medical Science Academy in Hartford on Thursday morning, authorities said.
Cops found evidence of narcotics near the student, which they later determined to be the opioid fentanyl.
A school nurse performed CPR on the unconscious boy until EMTs arrived and rushed him to Connecticut Children’s Medical Center.
Around the same time, school staff identified two other potential victims in a classroom in a different part of the school building.
Those two seventh-graders, who never lost consciousness, were admitted to the hospital for observation after complaining of dizziness.
Police believe all three may have come into contact with the fentanyl at the same time.
“I don’t think it’s clear where it was ingested,” Hartford Police Chief Jason Thody said. “It seems as though (the three boys) were together when it was ingested and then separated.”
Police are still investigating the source of the drugs and no charges have been filed.
“It appears that the drug was brought to the school by a student,” Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said.
“There were multiple additional bags of what we believe was fentanyl found around the school, which again we believe was brought by a student.”
The school was evacuated and drug-sniffing dogs were brought in to help with a thorough search of the building.
Those who were evacuated from the school had to be decontaminated before being allowed to leave because some forms of fentanyl can be dangerous when airborne.
Superintendent of Hartford Public Schools, Leslie Torres-Rodriguez, said the schools are not supplied with Narcan — the emergency drug used to treat opioid overdoses.
With Post wires
Friends of an 11-year-old girl killed in a murder-suicide allegedly carried out by her father remembered her as a “caring person” who made others feel … Continue reading 11-year-old killed in Florida murder-suicide remembered as ‘caring’
This is what happens when ten little piggies fly. A passenger on a Southwest Airlines flight became the arch-enemy of her fellow travelers, … Continue reading Toe no! Airline passenger’s disgusting foot antics gross out fellow fliers