More than four decades after a young woman’s remains were discovered on a Florida property belonging to a serial killer, cutting-edge DNA technology has finally identified the victim as a missing teenager.
Sixteen-year-old Theresa Caroline Fillingim was identified as the third of four bodies discovered in April 1981 at the sprawling home neighbors referred to as a “house of horrors.”
The property belonged to convicted killer Billy Mansfield Jr., who is currently serving a life sentence in California.
Sheriff’s officials made the announcement last Wednesday.
It took weeks for excavators and deputies to unearth the four sets of human remains buried in the junkyard owned by Mansfield in Spring Hill, sheriff’s officials said in a news release. Only two of the female victims were quickly identified.
Fillingim had been reported missing by her sister, Margaret Johns, in Tampa on May 16, 1980. She was a week shy of her 17th birthday.
Fillingim’s remains were sent to numerous labs over the years, but investigators didn’t develop a DNA profile until 2020, sheriff’s officials said. The sample was sent to the University of North Texas seeking a match in a national database, without results.
They tried again this year, using Parabon’s “Snapshot DNA Phenotyping” service, which creates a description of the victim rather than searching for a genetic match, officials said.
“Using DNA evidence from this investigation, Snapshot produced trait predictions for the associated victim. Individual predictions were made for the victim’s ancestry, eye color, hair color, skin color, freckling, and face shape,” the news release said.
The profile gave investigators an opportunity to generate their own leads, and a DNA sample from Fillingim’s sister confirmed the identity, “finally bringing peace to the victim’s family,” the sheriff’s release said.
Mansfield had already been charged with crimes including battery, kidnapping and sexual assault when he met 30-year-old Rene Sailing at a California tavern on Dec. 6, 1980, the Tampa Bay Times reported.
Her body was found the next morning in a drainage ditch, officials said. Mansfield was arrested days later and charged with first-degree murder. He was eventually convicted after a mistrial and an attempted prison escape, the Times reported.
Publicity from that case led an anonymous tipster to ask Hernando County officials to search Mansfield’s home for Sandra Graham, a 21-year-old who went missing from Tampa on April 17, 1980.
On March 17, 1981, officials unearthed the first victim — a woman in her 20s who remains unidentified to this day.
A week later, they uncovered the remains of 15-year-old Elaine Zeigler, a tourist from Ohio who disappeared from a nearby campground on New Year’s Eve in 1975. The bodies of Fillingim and Graham were then uncovered.
Mansfield, now 66, pleaded guilty to killing all four women and to the attempted sexual battery of another. He’s been denied parole multiple times, according to California prison records.
Johns, Fillingim’s sister, told the station WFLA that the positive identification has given her some closure.
“It gives me peace because I know I didn’t lose her,” she said. “That she was taken.”
What do you think? Be the first to comment.
Johns added that she plans to cremate her sister’s remains and split the ashes with her brother.
“The sad part of it is my whole family never knew what happened to her,” Johns said. “My dad died without knowing, my mom died without knowing … my sister died without knowing.”
(WTKR.com) NEW ORLEANS, La. – The families of three Americans — including two from Virginia Beach —who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while staying at an Airbnb rental in Mexico City in October announced Thursday they are … Continue reading Families of travelers who died at Mexico City Airbnb, including two from VB, are suing the company
‘Absolute family tragedy’: 10-year-old Milwaukee boy charged as an adult in the fatal shooting of his mother
A 10-year-old Milwaukee boy shot and killed his mother, not in a tragic accident as investigators first believed, but after his mother would not buy him a virtual reality headset, according to prosecutors. The boy was charged in … Continue reading ‘Absolute family tragedy’: 10-year-old Milwaukee boy charged as an adult in the fatal shooting of his mother
Savannah High School was evacuated Wednesday morning after false reports circulated that six staffers and students had been shot at the school on the city’s eastside. Multiple officials have confirmed that the active shooter reports are a hoax. … Continue reading Hoax confirmed at Savannah High School after reports of active shooter: Here’s what we know